There was a list of funny ways to save money on a different frugal living and saving money websites. They weren’t necessarily meant to be funny, but were gleaned from real suggestions sent in.
Some cheapskates don’t seem to notice that an extra hour at work might put them further ahead than many hours of penny-pinching.
The following are real suggestions, and then there are some funny ways to save money that you really shouldn’t try.
Funny Ways To Save Money – The Real Suggestions
1. One person suggested ways to save money on weddings that included picking up the leftover flowers at a cemetery. I’m not sure how you can tell which are “leftovers.”
2. Another creative penny pincher found a way to save money on a car wash. He washed his entire car using the squeegee at the gas station.
3. A woman confessed that she has the kids stuff their pockets with the free ketchup, salt and other condiment packets every time they were in a fast food restaurant. That’s not all, though. She actually had the kids squeeze ketchup and mustard from the packets into regular jars of ketchup and mustard, and claims she hasn’t bought these condiments in years.
4. To save money on an umbrella, one man suggests going to the lost and found department of any large public library. Tell them you lost a black umbrella. They will have several, from which you can pick the best one and claim it as your own.
5. Call people long-distance when you know they won’t be home. Leave a message for them to call. That way, they pay for the long-distance call.
6. Don’t pay baby sitters! Get young couples who are thinking about having kids to “rent” yours for the evening. They get to see what it will be like, and you can get paid instead of paying for sitters.
7. Turn off the TV and all the lights to save electricity. Tell the kids it’s a game of hide-and-seek.
8. Train your dog to beg for food from strangers, so you won’t have to buy dog food.
9. Rub pine needles under your arms instead of buying deodorant.
10. Take extra napkins from fast food restaurants to save on toilet paper.
11. Borrow your neighbors toothbrush instead of buying your own.
Now, these are the funny ways to save money that you really shouldn’t try. If I write a book on ways to save money, funny or not, will I make much in sales, or will everyone take my suggestion and borrow it from the library instead of buying it?